April 30, 2007

MANTRA 11

Filed under: Mantra — M Kitchen @ 4:29 pm

Dave Sim quotes:

“Principles of Comic Store Reality.
1) Successful comic books immediately go up in dollar value in the aftermarket
2) The most successful comic books continue to go up in value in the aftermarket while less successful comic books level off or decline in value
3) Fewer and fewer comic books are in either category these days
4) Virtually all comic books in either category are from Marvel (and, as Mr. Boyle puts it, DC to a lesser degree)”

“I had been hearing a lot about incentive editions of comic books: basically if a retailer orders x number of copies of a new comic book, they get one limited edition copy of the same comic book with a different cover—essentially a rare collectible. Now, automatically most people are going to shut down having read that. That isn’t a luxury I have, given that I have to figure out how to break what I see as a monolithic, largely unassailable and completely understandable indifference to independent comics in today’s market. Just putting my secret project out there and hoping for the best falls under the heading of Wishful Thinking. To me, it makes more sense to deal with Reality. And, right now, a Comic Store Reality is incentive editions of “hot” comics.” *

“But it doesn’t work for independents or, at least, the track record for independents isn’t nearly as good because there isn’t built-in cachet—or the perception of built-in cachet—in order to get store owners to risk investment capital in ordering what they see as “too many copies”. The key is that the incentive book has to go up in value immediately in order to offset even the possibility of losing money “over-ordering” books.” *

1. This blog is boring. Where’s the webcomic?

Comment by TIE — May 3, 2007 @ 10:59 am

2. Dude. Believe me. If I had time to be drawing comics. I’d be drawing comics. All work and no play makes Mike a dull boy.

Comment by M Kitchen — May 3, 2007 @ 11:09 am

3. Ive read Spud and Harry #1. Its great! Very interesting and cool format. Artwork is very slick, a nice mixture of styles that is very refreshing. This is the type of the comics that you start to read and you don’t want the story to finish. Cant wait to see whats next! You’re best work yet I think. Looking forward to Spy Guy #1! Meanwhile I can look forward to those web comic…kinda

Comment by TIE — May 3, 2007 @ 12:35 pm

4. i just got my copies last night!

I was completely blown away. great pacing, great story. A flip comic was an awesome gimmick. You totally took your drawing skills to another level i’ve never seen from you.

I was actually sad after i read it. I knew how long it took you to get it complete, but i read it all in 15 minutes. And I know it’ll be a while before i see Spy Guy #1. But i’ve been flipping through it a lot today and breaking down your process.

Thanks for the drawing too! Hilarious! Although, none from the Possum, tsk tsk.

Comment by Matt Campbell — May 3, 2007 @ 1:52 pm

5. Matt. I owe you a drawing. Mike sent it off before I could do one. Don’t you worry though. I’ll take care of you.

Comment by Blair kitchen — May 3, 2007 @ 8:10 pm

6. I just realized I wrote that post like a grade one student (or maybe like a robot). Lots of periods and one thought per sentence. No one can get mad at me for run on sentences though, can they?

Comment by Blair kitchen — May 3, 2007 @ 8:12 pm

7. Thai: Nice quotables! If I was going to run a letters column in SPY GUY #1 (which as of now, I’m not) this would be the opening letter. And I just realized now that I like getting negative blog posts. Too many “wow, great work” comes off as just ego stroking, which may feel nice, but when someone takes the time to write “boring” you know you’re doing something wrong. I was going to draw a comic strip on the GO Train today – but forgot my ink pens. AGHH!!!!

Matt: It’s good to hear that box of comics arrived okay, and I’m glad that you were completely blown away. When the books came back from the printers, and I had a chance to read through the whole thing, I had the same reaction you did. It’s weird that SPY GUY: Minis was 24 pages, but with it’s half page comic strips jammed with panels and dialogue, took quite a long time to read. SPUD & HARRY was 36 pages, but because it’s an extended action sequence, and half of it has no dialogue, the whole thing just blows by. Before you know it? Done. At least the SPUD diatribe slows down the reading experience of THAT half of the book. I scanned in the sketch I sent you (though didn’t actually check it – so I HOPE it scanned properly), so maybe I’ll turn that into a blog post at some point.

Blair: Your run on sentences. They make me mad at you.

Comment by M Kitchen — May 4, 2007 @ 9:17 am

8. If. Punctuation. Is. Wrong. I. Don’t. Want. To. Be. Right.

Comment by Matt Campbell — May 4, 2007 @ 9:19 am

9. Hmmm… this has me thinking I should make an online letters page for SPUD & HARRY. Sort of like the (failed) attempt at a SPY GUY: Minis feedback blog, but this time I’ve got some ideas on how to make it done right!

Something to think about.

Comment by M Kitchen — May 4, 2007 @ 10:20 am