April 9, 2007

Why The System Hates Dick Dale

Filed under: Educational,Inspiration,Video — M Kitchen @ 8:54 am

The video comes via Cartoon Brew, via Boing-Boing, via Tommy Liberto.

Parts of this will be turned into Mantra.

1. I love this clip. I have watched it a dozen times on Cartoon Brew, and now here, and everytime I do, I feel good about what we are doing with our comics. It’s easy to question when you are losing money at first, but if you stick it out and put in the hard work, you will benefit way more in the long run. Dick Dale is a wise man.

Comment by Blair kitchen — April 9, 2007 @ 10:23 pm

2. Yes he is. Matt Campbell would be wise to heed Dick Dale’s sage advice.

Comment by M Kitchen — April 10, 2007 @ 8:29 am

3. lol, when I watched this all i could think was, ‘Awesome, Mike Kitchen would be wise to heed Dick Dale’s sage advice!’ I more took away that this guy has a strong business plan to make money; To use the system, not ‘fuck it.’

I love how his answer to the question was not “Believe in yourself” or some equally anesthetizing soliloquy.

Comment by Matt Campbell — April 10, 2007 @ 8:46 am

4. LOL. So, does that mean we were saying the same thing?
    Damn.

I’m all for the business plan to make money.  I think that is smart.  Where I think Dick Dale veers from your stance last topic is that he is saying to make the CDs (re: Comics) yourself and sell them out of your trunk, and he is saying do NOT get a corporate investor to make the CDs for you.  And then when Mountain Dew wants to use your song (re: Comics) in their commercial, then you get to cash in without corporate investors pillaging your profit.

Comment by M Kitchen — April 10, 2007 @ 9:06 am

5. This is where my rant starts with “Online is the new trunk.” But that’s just arguing the semantics of an analogy. Being an artist hired to make someone else rich is dumb, you should fight to get away from that every chance you get.

Since last week, you’ve convinced me that a graphic novel or comic is an excellent promotional tool to launch an IP.

Comment by Matt Campbell — April 10, 2007 @ 9:20 am

6. What’s an IP?

Comment by M Kitchen — April 10, 2007 @ 9:28 am

7. Intellectual property

It’s a big stuffy lawyer term for, “Mine, not yours”

Comment by Matt Campbell — April 10, 2007 @ 9:33 am

8. Ah. Gotcha.

Comment by M Kitchen — April 10, 2007 @ 9:34 am

9. This video is great. I’m a 2nd year animation student at Sheridan and I’m currently working on an autobiographic graphic novel about my best friend and I trying to make it as a musical comedy band in Saskatoon Saskatchewan called “Artie and the Saskuatches”. So this is art, music comedy and writing that I’m doing. The comic is about a real band that can do real gigs and I think it’s going to be awesome. I have the whole script written and have finished the first issue only thus far. This is my second stab at comic making, as I had a five year running comic series before this called Boyo. Unpublishable quality, but still a great story that I would love to redo. Artie is my first real stab at making something to share with the world and make some money and fame with. This video’s advice applies directly to any artist, and I will heed his words.

Comment by Adam Kirk — March 14, 2009 @ 10:09 pm

10. Hi Adam – Glad the video was useful to you.
    Sheridan 2nd year eh? It’s been over a decade since I was there… time flies.

Good luck with your comic!
    Maybe we can trade first issues some time.

Comment by M Kitchen — March 15, 2009 @ 6:43 pm