March 31, 2007

MANTRA 8

Filed under: Mantra — M Kitchen @ 2:25 pm

Alan Moore quote:

“This stuff that you are dealing with – words, language, writing – this is dangerous, it is magical, treat it as if it was radioactive. Don’t doubt that for a moment. As far as I know, the last figures I heard quoted, nine out of every ten writers will have mental problems at some point during their life. Sixty percent of that ninety percent – which I think works out at roughly fifty percent of all writers – will have their lives altered and affected – seriously affected – by those mental problems. I think what that translates to is – nine out of ten crack up, five out of ten go mad. It’s like, miners get black lung, writers go bonkers. This is a real occupational hazard.” *

1. The insane part of writing TBWLH is re-reading it and thinking, “…this makes absolutely no sense.”

Comment by Matt Campbell — April 2, 2007 @ 11:35 am

2. Really? I picture the insane part as being the moment when your thoughts and writing start making perfect sense, and the rest of the world around you starts making absolutely no sense…

It’s as though your thought process hits this higher realm that others never reach, and that isolates your thoughts from the rest of the human collective.

I’m not there yet… but I can see how that could happen.

Comment by M Kitchen — April 2, 2007 @ 12:48 pm

3. Heh… to me you’re describing that 10th writer who hits nirvana.

I interpreted it as the writer who works on a crime novel, and crime starts to leak into his real life. Or the writer who joins a cult for “R&D”. Or the writer who is at a block in his story, and his constant grinding to break out develops into OCD.

Err…maybe we’re saying the same thing.

Comment by Matt Campbell — April 2, 2007 @ 1:22 pm

4. Haha… I think we are.

Comment by M Kitchen — April 2, 2007 @ 1:28 pm

5. Expanding on that thought: I can see the writing process taking the writer in two different directions. Either it expands your mind and gives you understanding (Nirvana), or it eats you up and crushes your soul (Not-Nirvana). Both of these extremes could lead to you being labeled “bonkers” by the human collective.

Comment by M Kitchen — April 2, 2007 @ 1:43 pm

6. Well, i agree – which sucks cause work is boring.

Is there anything else we could argue about?

Comment by Matt Campbell — April 2, 2007 @ 1:53 pm

7. Well, I agree with THAT too.

So, I dunno. Pick a topic. Politics and feminism normally get us going on a good rally, but those topics have been done to death. The two things on my mind of late (which I plan to blog maybe later this week) are: 1. Why I go into an indy comic shop with money to spend, and end up walking out spending nothing, and: 2. Generating momentum / building a fanbase with an indy work of art (comic, music, etc.)

Comment by M Kitchen — April 2, 2007 @ 2:04 pm

8. We could argue about who has the worst boss?

For example, at my job the Studio Art Director is deaf. He dresses like he’s in the band weezer, which must mean he’s too cool for a hearing aid – because he refuses to wear one. Team meetings need to shouted.

Our Art Manager, the one who directs the meetings stutters. There is nothing more strange then listening to a man stutter at the top of his voice.

Comment by Matt Campbell — April 2, 2007 @ 2:19 pm

9. That IS a good argument, as i feel that paper comics are antiquated. It’s like trying to start a mail-order business in the time of the inter-tubes.

Comment by Matt Campbell — April 2, 2007 @ 2:27 pm

10. Hey – That’s a good one.
    I’ll start a new post just for that!

Comment by M Kitchen — April 2, 2007 @ 2:47 pm