February 15, 2007

Filed under: Inspiration,Reference,Weblinks — M Kitchen @ 11:15 am

Johnny California posted this over at MillarWorld yesterday.
I’ve copy and pasted it here for posterity.

In GOODFELLAS, here’s what Henry Hill says at the end:

The hardest thing was to leave the life.
I love the life. We were treated like movie stars with muscle.
We had it all. Our wives, mothers, kids, everybody rode along.
I had bags filled with jewelry stashed in the kitchen.
I had a bowl of coke next to the bed.
Anything I wanted was a phone call away.
Free cars. Keys to a dozen hideouts all over the city.
I’d bet ten grand over a weekend then blow the winnings in a week
or go to sharks to pay the bookies.
Didn’t matter. It didn’t mean anything.
When I was broke I would go rob some more.
We ran everything. We paid off cops. We paid off lawyers. We paid off judges.
Everybody had their hands out. Everything was for the taking.
And now it’s all over.

That’s the hardest part. Today everything is different.
There’s no action. I have to wait around like everyone else.
Can’t even get decent food. After I got here I ordered
spaghetti with marinara sauce…
…and I got egg noodles with ketchup.

I’m an average nobody.

I get to live the rest of
my life like a schnook.

In TRAINSPOTTING, here are Renton’s last words before the credits:

“So why did I do it? I could offer a million answers, all false. The truth is that I’m a bad person, but that’s going to change, I’m going to change. This is the last of this sort of thing. I’m cleaning up and I’m moving on, going straight and choosing life. I’m looking forward to it already. I’m going to be just like you: the job, the family, the fucking big television, the washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electrical tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisurewear, luggage, three-piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption, clearing the gutters, getting by, looking ahead, to the day you die.”

In the middle of FIGHT CLUB, Tyler’s speech:

“I see in fight club the strongest and
smartest men who have ever lived —
an entire generation pumping gas and
waiting tables; or they’re slaves
with white collars.
Advertisements have them chasing cars
and clothes, working jobs they hate
so they can buy shit they don’t need.
We are the middle children of
history, with no purpose or place.
We have no great war, or great
depression. The great war is a
spiritual war. The great depression
is our lives. We were raised by
television to believe that we’d be
millionaires and movie gods and rock
stars — but we won’t. And we’re
learning that fact. And we’re very,
very pissed-off.
We are the quiet young men who listen
until it’s time to decide.”

1. Henry Hill is now a homeless paint huffer

Comment by Matt Campbell — February 15, 2007 @ 1:15 pm

2. If you could have one wish, would you wish for that one thing that you imagine would make your life complete, or would you wish to be fully content, and happy with what you have at the present moment?

Comment by blair kitchen — February 15, 2007 @ 4:57 pm

3. Hook me up with that wish, and I’ll let you know.

Henry Hill doesn’t look like his life is complete, or like he’s fully content with what he’s got at the present moment…

Actually, if your life is complete, doesn’t that mean you’re dead?

And since I’ve never been one to go for being fully content, and happy… you know what? If you’ve got that wish, you can keep it. I think I’d pass.

Comment by M Kitchen — February 15, 2007 @ 5:01 pm

4. Blair: My wish would be to accept that I can’t draw.

Mike: It bothers me that you correlate death with the completion of life – It takes nothing to die (although it may take something to not die in a stupid way). That suggests that we’re just occupying our time with our dumb projects and whims.

Comment by Matt Campbell — February 15, 2007 @ 8:56 pm

5. I’d take content and happiness with what I have. Isn’t contentness and happiness what we are trying to gain with the accumulation of stuff, skill, etc. anyways? What happens when we die and go to heaven ? (that’s where I plan on going). Does this mean that you wouldn’t want to be happy and content there? Some of the most happy people are the ones with the least material possessions. (actually, I think that the more you have, the harder it is to be content and happy). Accuiring stuff just attempts to fill a hole that can’t be filled with “things”.

(Maybe the word isn’t complete. Maybe the words are “wish for the oject or objects that you think you want more than anything else”).

Comment by Blair kitchen — February 15, 2007 @ 10:10 pm

6. You guys crack me up.

Matt: Isn’t death, by its very definition, the completion of life? Life is not complete until it has its end. While I prefer to think that the time in our meaty flesh is for honing our soul, to say that “we’re just occupying our time with our dumb projects and whims” could be considered just a matter of semantics.

Blair: While this could again be devolving into semantics, I do see a distinction between happiness and joy. I’ve always considered happiness a fleeting emotion, not worthy of serious pursuit. While we all strive to exist in a state of joy, I think that truth, wisdom, and moral righteousness is what we should be concerned with actively pursuing. And yes, many people do use stuff to make them content and happy, which brings me to my original point. Which isn’t to say one should not experience happiness. But happiness über alles is the mentality that will send us on that futile quest to fill that hole, or void, with “things” and “stuff”, thus sending us further into the abyss.

Comment by M Kitchen — February 16, 2007 @ 12:42 am

7. Ps. Matt: Forgot to ask – If death doesn’t correlate with the completion of life, then how would you define the completion of life? What happens after your life is complete? What do you do next? I want to understand that thought process.

Comment by M Kitchen — February 16, 2007 @ 10:31 am

8. This is what C.S. Lewis had to say about joy:

Comment by M Kitchen — February 16, 2007 @ 11:06 am

9. You statement messes with my pragmatic brain: If death means completion, then might as well die now. Or work on a good death; like dying of cancer or die fighting a good cause or sacrificing your life to save someone elses.

That means life is all about your death.

Comment by Matt Campbell — February 16, 2007 @ 11:38 am

10. I think words can be discussed and picked apart forever, but in language, we have sayings and phrases that we all understand. When someone says “now my life is complete”, they don’t mean it like a robot would mean it. It means “my life is fulfilled”, or “my purpose in life is complete”. If we are eternal beings (life after death), then our life will never be complete in the sense that you are thinking. We can only fulfill purpose…….. I think?

Comment by blair kitchen — February 16, 2007 @ 3:50 pm

11. Matt: I’m not saying that life is all about your death.
    Think of your life as a story.

In all good stories, it’s the journey, and the character development, the overcoming of obstacles and the climatic conclusion that make it worth experiencing. Sure, you could plot out your own dramatic death, but what kind of story would that be? Who’s to say you wouldn’t get run over by a handicap bus before you complete that objective…
    Which is why it’s the journey that matters.

Remember the old idiom “getting there is half the fun”.

And lets, for the sake of conversation, say that you did complete whatever objectives you had striven for; then what? Would you just sit around being content doing nothing for the rest of your days? Or would you head out on a new adventure? Either way, your objectives in life may be complete, though your life at that point isn’t, as it is still lacking the end. Death is the inevitable conclusion to our existence in meat space.

Your life isn’t complete until your vitals stop.

At that point, it’s just “roll credits”.

Isn’t it?

Blair: Words are straight forward so long as their definitions are adhered to and so long as the person using them is clear as to their intent.

Going back to your original question; the best set of real world variables I can relate to it is with my comic.

The one thing that would make my life “complete” is to be able to work on my comic full time and make a living off it.

If I were to be fully “content and happy” with what I have at the present moment, that would mean that I am content and happy with sitting in front of a computer 50 hours a week and 15 hours commuting, setting keyframes on half-assed features. Uh, no. I think I’ll pass.

In that case, I’d have to say I would wish for the one thing that would make my life “complete”.

However, in doing so, I would have to acknowledge the fact that this wish would never make my life complete, as I would then graduate to new goals and objectives, such as: How do I draw better? How do I improve my writing. How can my stories outlast my own life, and speak to future generations of readers? How do I take time off from doing my comic so that I can enjoy the other things life has to offer? I mean, it just keeps on going…

As for death and the afterlife; this is why I was very specific to clarify I was speaking of our meaty flesh.

As for further discussion on the afterlife, that’s one to pick up sometime in Heaven.

Comment by M Kitchen — February 16, 2007 @ 5:11 pm

12. Great quote:

“When Alexander [The Great] saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer.”

I like the analogy of life being a story… Best to make it an interesting one.

Comment by Matt Campbell — February 16, 2007 @ 6:58 pm