January 15, 2007

America Freedom to Fascism

Filed under: Educational,Video,Weblinks — M Kitchen @ 11:20 am

I just finished watching this documentary film last night.

It’s a good one.

You can watch the whole thing, by clicking below.

1. HOLY SHIT!

I’m glad i watched that. There’s some scary stuff going on!

Comment by Matt Campbell — January 18, 2007 @ 12:56 pm

2. New Hampshire couple found guilty of failing to pay taxes; husband holed up with armed backers

Comment by Matt Campbell — January 18, 2007 @ 9:14 pm

3. The IRS is basically going to do whatever they want, legal or not. Thank God that the US is a “free country”.

Comment by Blair kitchen — January 18, 2007 @ 9:43 pm

4. Clipped from article:

The Browns contend the law does not require them to pay federal income tax, while the government says the Browns owe more than $625,000 (€484,000). The Browns stopped paying income taxes in 1996 and stopped filing returns in 1998, a prosecutor said. They could each face decades in prison.

A jury decided they employed a scheme to hide their income and avoid taxes in part by using postal money orders in increments just below the reporting threshold to pay for their hilltop compound. Courts have routinely rejected similar attempts by other taxpayers.

It seems to me that their scheme to hide their income is what did it with the jury. If I were Ed Brown, I’d have the jury watch Russo’s film. Or get some of those ex-IRS agents to testify.

Though in the end, I think Jesus said it best

Comment by M Kitchen — January 19, 2007 @ 12:45 pm

5. “Though in the end, I think Jesus said it best…”

That comment has been on my mind for the past 4 days. It seems like you trumped everything you say about the government (etc) with that statement.

Are you saying it is better to follow Jesus than Jello Biafra? Or that if there is a conflict between these two school of thoughts, that Jesus always wins?

…just looking for some expansion on that final thought.

Comment by Matt Campbell — January 23, 2007 @ 12:25 pm

6. You’ve always said that I “sit on the fence”… and I’d say that is true, because I always tend to find agreeable points on either side of a debatable argument. And once a debatable point is established as truth, I tend to latch on to it, regardless of what side of the spectrum that truth comes from.
    You can read more about that in Spy Guy #1.

In thinking through the income tax issue, this is my thought process:

I have to agree with everything that is said in Russo’s documentary. However, it is also obvious that not paying income taxes will result in a world of trouble with the IRS or Revenue Canada (depending on my current country of residence). I could play shell games like Ed Brown in the article you posted, but is it really worth the hassle? I don’t know. I’d have to do a lot more homework before before making that my crusade.

In the grand scheme of things, money isn’t the most important thing for us to be concerned about.
    Sure, you could martyr yourself over the income tax issue. But is that the most important issue to you? Do you risk everything to save a few bucks? Is that the issue you want to be crucified over? Not me. The wisest thing, it seems, is to attempt to build your wealth outside of the central bank system.

In this case, I think a smarter thing to do is launch a public awareness campaign. Make a documentary. Write about it on your blog. Anything to bring light to the truth. Challenge government officials. Create a movement to change the law (or in this case, to enforce the existing law). But in the meantime, my thinking remains:

Who’s name is on the currency? The Federal Reserve (or the Bank Of Canada)… so give them their money.
    “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”
    I mean, how do you argue with that?

There are greater battles to be fought over far greater issues.
    Which is not to say we should buckle over to big government control and submit to private monied interests.
    Though, pick your battles, and pick them wisely.

Regarding Jesus and Jello: I’d pick Jesus over Jello Biafra every time. That one is a “no-brainer”.
    Though in this particular case, I don’t see a conflict between these two schools of thought.

Jesus was considered more of a rabble-rouser than Jello ever was.
    Remember, it was the Government that killed Jesus in the end.

And, as an interesting side note: even Jello is for paying taxes.

Comment by M Kitchen — January 23, 2007 @ 1:26 pm

7. great answer! (brought me back to Gino’s Pizza talk)

After reading the ‘vote for Jello’ dissertation, I would definitely vote Green. I hope Jesus wouldn’t object.

Comment by Matt Campbell — January 23, 2007 @ 2:34 pm